In Sisters of Lazarus: Beauty Unveiled, Martha is a skilled cook, especially known for her date and honey cakes. When Mary finally learns to cook, she takes Martha’s recipe and adds her own twist; oat and raisins cakes sweetened with honey. These small cakes would be our modern cookies.
Oats and Honey Cookies
1 cup honey
¾ cup shortening
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oats
(optional) 1 cups raisins or 1 cups of chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat honey, egg, shortening, water, honey, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add about a third of the flour, mixing well.
- Add about a third of the oats, mixing well.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 alternately until the dough is mixed well.
- Add raisins or nuts if desired.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoon-fulls onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
Move cookies to cooling rack.